While many followers of our blog are users of our PortVision products for AIS-based vessel tracking, some of the highest-value shore-side uses of AIS data occur when the data is integrated into existing enterprise systems to solve specific business problems. In recent years, PortVision has been involved in a number of different integration projects to meet specific customer objectives, including:
- Displaying vessel positions and arrival/departure data in an existing (non-PortVision) common operating picture, GIS, or situational awareness platform
- Accessing vessel positions, events, and alerts through XML web services to enable reporting in existing systems
- Integrating with ERP systems such as Oracle and SAP to share data or initiate chartering activities
- Pushing market-specific data to business intelligence platforms to support market intelligence gathering
- Delivering custom data sets to government users for policy and compliance analysis
- Delivering customized alerts based on highly specific criteria
- Combining AIS data with terminal-level events to support “FedEx-style Order Tracking” for containers and other cargo shipped by sea
- Providing custom portals to display relevant vessel tracking data through a company’s existing intranet or extranet
- …and a Partridge, in a pear tree!
Sounds like the beginning of a new “12 Days of Christmas”, albeit in a geeky, Dilbert sort of way. And on that note…
I hope this holiday season brings you and your family all the best. Have a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.